Today I got off from work at about 1pm so I had a good
opportunity to drop by the produce market for some fresh goods on my way home.
My daughter, Abi, is good about assisting with foods
management. She was particularly interested in seeing what fruits and veggies
will be on-hand over the next week as she begins her senior year of high school
Tuesday morning and packs her lunch daily. As I passed apples,
peaches, and plums she told me about a pumpkin latte she wanted to make using
almond milk, so we began to make a list of items we wanted to pick up from the
grocery store.
Putting away the last of the produce, I quickly checked the
freezer, both for available space and for inventory. I, once again, found
myself repositioning two frozen pie crusts that have been occupying premium
freezer space since last year’s holiday season when Abi had gotten into a
pumpkin pie-baking mood. In an instant I decided that today was the day when
these two freezer anomalies would be utilized. Tossing the crusts onto the
countertop, I added half-n-half and eggs to my mental list asking Abi to
start brainstorming a couple of quiche
creations for dinner. Together, we headed for the grocery store discussing the
pros and cons of universal healthcare en route.
As is usual we split up upon entering Super Fresh. She’s
getting her latte ingredients while I shop the seafood counter. We meet at the
bakery because Abi always wants some decision-making power when it comes to
fresh bread. I told her I’m making bruschetta this weekend, so she chose a good,
multigrain baguette to accommodate the topping. Proceeding through dairy we begin
to share our quiche ideas. We decide that she will create one and the other
using a basic recipe of 6 eggs, 1.5 cups half-n-half, 1.5 cups cheese, and 2-3
cups of meat and/or veggies. We figure we’ll decide when we get home because we
know we have plenty from which to choose to fill in the gaps in our recipes.
We finished up our trip grabbing a variety of cheeses, eggs
and milk, and discussed our quiche ideas during the trip back home. We both were stuck on using fresh spinach so
while I made spinach the feature ingredient in my spinach & mushroom dish,
Abi chose to make smoked salmon the star of her recipe with the spinach playing
second fiddle. While it is usually not the case, Abi kicked my butt in the kitchen
this evening. She totally out-quiched me! Her salmon, spinach, and goat cheese quiche is outstanding which
is why I’m sharing her quiche recipe with my salad creation of the day.
Fresh Greens & Fruit Salad
Mixed greens
cucumbers
strawberries
mandarin oranges
sliced almonds
sweet onion & poppy seed dressing
![]() |
| I love salad and create a variety of both side and entree salads all year long! |
Smoked Salmon & Spinach Quiche
6 eggs
1.5 cups half-n-half
1.5 cups goat cheese (crumbled)
1.5 cups smoked salmon (slices cut to ½ wide pieces)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 9-inch pie crust
Pre-heat the oven to 400 and bake the crust for 10 minutes.
Remove and lower oven temperature to 375. Lightly beat the eggs and whisk in
the half-n-half. Add salt and pepper. Layer
spinach, salmon, and goat cheese in the pie crust. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients. Bake for 45 minutes.
Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
![]() |
| Abi's Smoked Salmon & Spinach Quiche is delicious! The goat cheese was an excellent choice for the dish. |


No comments:
Post a Comment