I’ve been engaged in the preliminary aspects of my
daughter’s college applications process. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful daughter, and I’ll elaborate upon a mother’s love as I
know it, but not before noting my present emotional state around my motherhood
which is that I am struggling; struggling with this milestone in my daughter’s
life that leads her further away from me. She has been the primary focus of my
existence since her conception; about 18 years now. It is difficult for me to
fathom my life redirected—much more difficult than it is for her to imagine her
next step. It is an exciting time for her. It is a time when being her mother
means embracing her exuberant leap toward independence while trying desperately to
conceal my sorrow for the loss of my life’s purpose over nearly two decades. I
suppose I should see it as just another completed project, and break out the
balloons and whistles, but it is…just different, and while I know what my role
and responsibility to her at this time are, it is a time peppered with
bittersweet emotion that can move me from laughter to tears with no warning whatsoever as trailers of our lives flash through my mind.
It appears that it is not too early to claim a victory in
that my daughter is a well-adjusted, thriving 17.3 year-old, rising high school
senior with high ambitions scheduled for 5 out of 8 Advanced Placement courses
in her senior year and with a primary goal of nothing other than learning. What is to question? What is
not to love? To boot, she is a gifted technical vocalist (according to the
state of Delaware) with not only a beautiful face, but a sensational sense of
humor, and a keen knowledge that these are subjective to the opinion of the
observer, with whom; she is not particularly concerned. Abigail, my daughter,
is quite an amazing and intriguing individual.
I’ve heard many a pregnant mother talk about the innate love
they have for their unborn child. I can’t speak to that. I only know that while
I felt keenly responsible for the well-being of my unborn child, I definitely
did not have the same love for her in the womb that I have for her now. I did take great care of her even
relinquishing caffeine as she was in utero and throughout her nursing year. I
ate well. I was physically careful with myself as I carried and nursed her. Her
well-being became my primary focus, and that has not changed to date, while my love for her has developed, grown, and deepened immeasurably with each passing year.
I’ve also known mothers who lived vicariously through their
children. I’ve not done that. It has been of much greater interest to me to
know who my daughter really is and to nurture all the she is intended to be. I’m comfortable that I’ve done that. I spent
a great deal of time and energy exposing her to every sport including swimming,
soccer, gymnastics, snow-skiing, tee-ball, baseball, field hockey, lacrosse, horseback
riding, and tennis.
I exposed her to the
arts. Her first music class was at 12 months. She completed every level of
Kindermusic followed by choir from grade two to
present. Abigail is a placing state-wide
competitive soprano I vocalist. She also has practiced karate, dance, piano, steel drums, musical
theater, drama not to mention bass guitar and, most recently, ukulele-- both purely self-imposed. Abi has auditioned and won community theater roles as well as professional voice-over and film work. She has done various forms of fine arts
including drawing, painting, and sculpting, clay and pottery making. She’s knitted, crocheted, sewn, and made
quilts. She’s been exposed to all genres of writing, and won district-wide writing
awards as early as third grade. Most of
all, Abigail has been an avid reader with an affinity for fantasy, and she has
excelled at languages with an emphasis on English and French from age three. Yet, Abigail
mostly loves science, and her love of science drove her to math.
Not only has Abigail been exposed to an array
of sports, arts, and academics, but she also was exposed to a rigid schedule of
Christian education from birth through grade 8, and Girl Scouting from
Kindergarten through grade 6. She knows the Bible stories (both Testaments,) and
she can survive in the woods over the weekend in about any weather orienting
herself along the way and navigating back to civilization. She has traveled
enough of the U.S. and Europe to know that landscapes, time zones, seasons,
climates, languages, and cultures vary, and that people are really just people
anywhere she goes, and she has a great deal of respect and reverence for diversity.
As my daughter completes her summer AP work, pursues her
college applications process, and anticipates the rigors of her senior year
that she has planned, I have no doubts
about her preparedness for this next
phase of her life, yet I don’t even
know how I feel about my own. I do
know that to date I’ve upheld my definition of motherhood, and I do know that it
includes a love that is different from all other forms of love. There is
nothing quite like it, and I’m not so sure that there is enough of me to have
done multiples so it is probably a wise decision that I limited myself to just
one daughter for she is most
certainly sufficient.




A great post, Angie!
ReplyDeleteI shared your post with my daughter. It looks like we're both proud parents. :)
The days you're experiencing with Abi will be here soon for my daughter and me. I hope I make the right decisions...or help *her* make the right decisions.
Thank you, Curtis. I hope you don't find yourself bursting into tears with no warning when your time comes.:)
ReplyDeleteYour daughter's future life decisions will be influenced by what she is learning from you and others now. It's important that she has a lot of decision-making power all along the way so that she can feel proud and confident in her own ability.
Confidence-building empowers youth to make productive choices for themselves. That's a beautiful thing!